Both Janelle Gelfand and Mary Ellyn Hutton have the scoop. (A note here: until this weekend, I was unaware that Ms. Hutton, the outstanding reporter/critic formerly of the Cincinnati Post, had a site where she continues to write and blog. Griff: get a link up!) The highlights of the season include:
- a cycle of all five Beethoven concertos;
- five commissioned fanfares;
- an opening weekend featuring Kathleen Battle;
- a "farewell gala" featuring Yo-Yo Ma; and
- Vadim Repin performing the Sibelius Violin Concerto.
Paavo will conduct nine of the season's concerts. (At least, I count nine. Gelfand and Hutton both say eight, but I think they're referring to subscription series concerts, which doesn't include the Yo-Yo Ma farewell gala.)
It's a season to look forward to, and will no doubt be one to remember.