Sunday, January 14, 2007

Irony

I believe a commenter in a prior thread asked me if I would allege that murder victim and anti-violence activist Richard Muhammad was involved in drugs. At the time, I assumed no, that he wasn't, an assumption that helped explain why the public remembrance and grief were so high.

Instead, I was totally wrong. Richard Muhammad was murdered during a drug deal gone bad. Muhammad had a crack cocaine problem, according to the coroner and police. It is a sad case, but not a unique case on the list of people murdered on Cincinnati streets. Most of those murdered were involved in buying or selling drugs. This is the underlying problem. To use a metaphor: if you don't put your hand in the fire, you won't get burned. This is not a 100% guarantee, but it is rather an indicated that people who don't buy or sell drugs shouldn't have irrational fear of being murdered in Cincinnati.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be an idiot or your comment will be deleted.