Sunday, April 18, 2004

Answering a Question

In a letter to the Enquirer:
Federal marriage amendment needed

Supporters of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman have been called bigots. This proposed amendment is identical to the Defense of Marriage Act passed by 427 members of Congress and signed into law by former President Clinton. Are they bigots, too? The ultimate goal of homosexual marriage isn't the relationship of any two people. It is to change national policy to say that gender, especially in raising children, doesn't matter, even though history and research show children do best when raised by a married mother and father. For the sake of our children, a federal amendment protecting traditional marriage is necessary.

Pete Shockey, Taylor Mill
To answer your question Mr. Shockey "are they bigots, too?" Yes, yes they are. I will say you too are a bigot Mr. Shockey. Which should not be a surprise, or shock, to you. I at least give you a little bit of credited for at least putting your objections out in the open. You fear gender equality. You fear individuals you don't like having children. I fear that too, like I fear if you have any children, but I don't seek to make it illegal or place legal hurdles trying to prevent it. Mr. Shockey, if you want to be a an anti-homosexual bigot, fine, I don't care. If you want to institutionalize your bigotry, then I care. There are plenty of single parent households out there. I happen to be the son of a father raised by a single mother. This was during the 40's and 50's when being a boy from a broken home was a black mark on you. Guess what Mr. Shockey. My father went to college, as had my Grandmother, raised three kids, was a public educator for 35 years and now lives with my mother and mostly plays golf while battling Parkinson's disease. I would say single parents do just fine. If they are gay or not it does not matter. If there are two parents there, all the better, where they are the same sex or not. You can take your uncited studies made by unnamed people and frankly, shove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be an idiot or your comment will be deleted.